Monday, April 1, 2013

Blog 10

This past week, the main discussion was directed at the book "Planet of Slums." For many of us, the idea of living in a slum is not something that we can fully understand. We have seen images and descriptions, but psychologically we cannot understand the idea of never being able to leave the slum, because that is our home. For many of us, not having air conditioning, a pool, cable TV, and a game system constitutes as being poor (all things I did not have growing up). Our idea of global poverty is usually based on what we see in our own country.

I was especially interested in the garbage city in Cairo, known as Manshiyat Naser. I was amazed at how this is the "normal way of life" to children born in this city. For those of you that have not seen specific images, I have two posted below.


http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/garbagecity-ed05.jpg



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhQ6yid1PUgBc2xJQemTGOrjkSI-dtMrFZ8uvROXOmhnerWer8tiLVVILmRVo0c0sFbTOfGgBRuJ9xjtB695N8lDO_76G938YpfPOJwXirEKfgnSverQ7Gu2YjLZzhnukOK41X6prR8VTo/s1600/zabaleen.jpg


Waterfront Condominiums 



High Rise Living












2 comments:

  1. Living in America, I definitely have different perceptions of being poor. I could not imagine living in a slum as my home. It might be possible if there was hope for leaving or I knew that I would one day have a better life. However, that is often not the case for people in places like Manshiyat Naser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. click here for real estate and your dream home
    Port Charlotte properties

    ReplyDelete